Friday, June 6, 2008

It's weekend getaway time again!


It has been rainy and dreary here in Oregon this week with temperatures in the 50's so I'm anxiously waiting for summer to officially arrive. Some of the attractions in Oregon, and neighboring Washington, include higher altitude getaways that we usually escape to when it's hot down here in the Willamette Valley. I took these pictures in previous summers when the sky was clear and the temperature warm - oh how I hope those days return soon!

This is Mt Hood here in Oregon taken from Timberline Lodge last July. When we were there, people were still going up on the remaining snow patches to ski even though the official ski season was over. I'm not sure what type of conditions the snow was in but I would imagine it was more like slush skiing!

We went to Mount St Helens in Washington the summer before it erupted again. Steam is noticeable in this picture rising from the crater. The trees in the foreground are what are returning after the huge eruption on May 18, 1980.

3 comments:

Kim said...

oh oh, I saw saint helens last year :) wonderful pictures

Joy De Vivre Design said...

Beautiful pictures!

Wonderfully Sew Knit said...

Oh, it makes me homesick. :o( I'm glad I'm leaving the hot heat of AZ to visit for two weeks in July. :o)

I'm not so fond of St. Helens (We lived 50 miles from it in May 1980) But I'd love to go up on Mt. Hood again and maybe visit Cannon Beach.